Catching my breath…

It’s been nearly 2 weeks since I last blogged, and I feel a little guilty.  Facebook friends got to follow along on my Adventures in NYC, but here’s a review for my blog-friends:::

Thursday morning, 4:30am, drove through fog to drop off the car at Nashville airport.  Arrived LaGuardia 9:15 and made friends with the cab driver as we made the 20-minute drive to the Jose’ Casa.  That was probably the shortest (and cheapest) taxi ride of the whole trip.  Melissa and I headed over to the Dry Bar around noon and got ourselves all curled and blown, then picked up the kids from school and had supper.  Emma’s school Christmas program was at 7pm and it was delightful, as was the company at Cavatappo after the show.  Friday morning, Eric was off to chemo and Melissa had a photography job, so I got the kids off to school.  They only had a half-day, so I picked them up at noon.  I tried, really, to get Eliza to take a nap, as she has slept through the last 2 Rockettes shows, but Eliza was Not Tired.  We grabbed a cab to Radio City Music Hall, traffic was horrible, but we got there early enough to get our cotton candy/hats, and a picture with a Rockette (no line).  Eliza fell asleep at her usual time, just before the wooden soldiers…  Maybe next year.  Saturday was free, so we made movies, danced, and played the cupcake game.  That evening, Melissa, Emma, and I went to Lord of the Dance, Michael Flatley’s last hurrah, or so he says.  Emma’s Irish Dance School had bought a group of tickets, so we met up for some drinks and food first.  The show was a little strange, kind of like Captain Eo, only less coherent;  the dancing, was superlative.  When Flatley appeared, as an “encore”, it was exhilarating.  We finished off the evening at the Heartland Brewery and took the loooongessst cab ride ever…honestly…home.  Sunday at 9am we had breakfast with Santa—more good company, and Eliza had a dance performance at noon…   Whew!  Sunday afternoon was about being together and Melissa fixed a fine meal.  I was up and out of there at 7am Monday for a 8:45am flight.  I noticed a little fog as we crossed the Triboro bridge (or whatever they call it now), but there was actually a Lot of fog.  8:45 flight cancelled, put on a 10:20 flight that included a stop in DC.  That one was cancelled and I got a flight out for 1:45.  They shuttled me to a different terminal and I hunkered down.   That flight was delayed, first to 2:30, the 3:20, finally 3:50.  I made some friends at the gate, then moseyed over to the bar and made a couple more.  We finally got out at 4:15 and I was conked out before we were in the air.  I woke up about a half-hour before landing collected my duds, picked up the car, and drove home.  I made record time driving, stopped a got a burger, and collapsed into bed by 10pm.

I hope you appreciate that I do all my own stunts…

The week after Eric has chemo (he has it every 3 weeks), he’s a little winded…to put it lightly.  He made it to all the kids’ performances, but deservedly rested as much as possible.   I do have some pictures of the entire family, but can’t seem to get them off of my phone…

I spent Tuesday getting back my land-legs, babysat Samantha on Wednesday, caught up with housework and errands on Thursday, bought the grandkids’ presents on Friday, got the snail-mail cards sent off today.  Now, are you sufficiently impressed?

Melissa and her family will be here the evening of the 26th, God-willing-and-the creeks-don’t-rise…  I am so grateful to have my family all together—twice in one year!!   Till then, let the baking begin…



2 thoughts on “Catching my breath…

  1. zipcoffelt

    Whew! A whirlwind trip followed by some whirlwind Christmas prep!! Glad to hear you enjoyed Lord of the Dance. They are coming to KC in March and I’ve been debating whether they are worth a trip to the City. We saw them when Flately was young, must have been almost 20 years ago.


    1. You definitely saw his best. I don’t think he-himself is touring, just the company. The graphics and “plot” were laughable, frankly sexist, and distracting. There was a great video where 3 of him danced together, which is probably on the tour, but he doesn’t even appear in person every night in NYC.


Talk to Me!!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.